Permit Applications & Eligibility

CUNY ePermits

A CUNY ePermit allows matriculated Brooklyn College students to take classes at other CUNY Colleges. All credits and grades earned on permit will be transferred to the student’s record and included in their cumulative grade point average (GPA).

Please be aware that an approved ePermit request does not guarantee students a seat at the other institution. It only insures that Brooklyn College will accept the transfer credit for the course(s). ePermits are requested in CUNYfirst.


To be eligible to take a course on ePermit at another CUNY College, the following criteria must be met:

  • Students must be a matriculated undergraduate or graduate student. Non-degree students cannot apply for a permit.
  • Undergraduate students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • Graduate students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  • Must not be a first-semester student (except for transfer, Macaulay Honors, CUNY BA, or ROTC students).
  • Students cannot have any holds on their record that would prevent enrollment (Financial Aid, Bursar, Advisement, etc.)
  • All immunization requirements mut be met.
  • The course on permit must apply towards the student’s current major requirements. This can be verified using the students DegreeWorks audit.
  • The course on permit cannot be used to replace a prior failure at Brooklyn College.
  • The course must meet the pre-requisite for the Brooklyn College equivalent course.
  • Students must have advisor approval if they area Macaulay Honors College or CUNY BA student.
  • Students must have departmental approval for any upper Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science courses.

NOTE: Newly admitted transfer students may take an ePermit in their first semester by emailing us. The email should include the CUNYfirst ID (EMPL ID), Brooklyn College course, host college, host college course, and the semester/session.

Non-CUNY Permits

If you want to take a course at an institution outside of CUNY, you must file a non-CUNY Permit application. The application is to be submitted to the applicable Brooklyn College academic department for approval and will only be accepted by the approver. The requirements for CUNY permits apply to non-CUNY permit applicants as well. You must still apply to be admitted to the non-CUNY school (host college) and finalize your registration at the host college. Once the semester is done, you will need to request for an official transcript to be sent to Brooklyn College at

Related Articles